Getting help with mental health issues can be challenging for many individuals, regardless of their gender, economic status, age, and general health. But issues can become even more complicated and difficult to deal with when sexual identity is involved, either directly or indirectly. LGBTQ counseling is best provided in an LGBTQ-affirmative environment by a therapist who is knowledgeable and understanding of the challenges that face clients who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered, or questioning.
Caring treatment for LGBTQ clients is available at Labyrinth Psychological Services. We provide a positive, supportive environment where clients can explore and discuss issues related to sexuality, gender, identity, social injustice, and discrimination. Our LGBTQ counseling services include:
- Individual therapy for teens and adults questioning their identity/sexuality
- Therapy for problems unrelated to their LGBTQ identity
- Education and therapy for an LGBTQ person’s loved ones looking to become more knowledgeable and supportive
- LGBTQ-affirming couples therapy
- Family therapy and parent-management training for families of same-sex or LGBTQ parents
- Trauma treatment and Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) for LGBTQ clients who have experienced abuse, bullying, or discrimination
We have experience providing treatment for LGBTQ clients, including for teens and adults from a variety of personal and cultural backgrounds. We have helped our clients strengthen their sense of positive self-identity, navigate relationship issues, improve self-advocacy, clarify choices about coming out, and receive support during major life events such as marriage/commitment ceremonies, parenting, divorce/break-ups, and retirement.
LGBTQ individuals experience mental health disorders such as depression or generalized anxiety disorder three times as often as the rest of the population, issues that can be magnified if the person experiences other marginalized identities. So if you or someone you love identifies as LGBTQ, receiving LGBTQ counseling from an LGBTQ-affirmative therapist can be helpful even if the issue is not sexuality-related – it can be especially beneficial to have a mental health professional who is able to examine and address virtually any mental health issue from an LGBTQ perspective.
To learn more about our caring, individualized LGBTQ counseling, contact Labyrinth Psychological Services today.